Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
The WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program is a free program offered through the Laurel County Health Department, that provides one on one support to pregnant and breastfeeding WIC mothers. A peer counselor will contact you during your pregnancy and assist you with any questions, or concerns you may have with breastfeeding. This is done through mailings, phone calls, and periodic visits. After delivery, the peer counselor will continue to provide support throughout your breastfeeding experience.
For more information about the free peer counselor program or to find a peer counselor and breastfeeding support group near you, please contact the Laurel County Health Department.
World Breastfeeding Week & National Breastfeeding Month:
The following downloadable handouts from previous Breastfeeding Month campaigns provide helpful strategies for breastfeeding success.
- Ready, Set, Breastfeed- Get off to a good start
- Busy Moms – Breastfeeding can work around your schedule
- Encouragement – Giving a breastfeeding mom your loving support
- 10 Tips For Dads to Help Support Breastfeeding Moms – English Version
- 10 Tips for Dads to Help Support Breastfeeding Moms – en Espanol
- Breastfeeding: A Magical Bond of Love – English Version
- Breastfeeding: A Magical Bond of Love – en Espanol
- Your Breastfeeding Team
- Winning Strategies for Breastfeeding Success
- Preparing for Breastfeeding During Pregnancy
- Strategies for Your Breastfeeding Team
- Strategies for Breastfeeding During an Emergency
- Strategies for Working and Breastfeeding
- Strategies for Breastfeeding and Childcare
- Strategies for Childcare Providers
- Strategies for Employers
Breastfeeding Information Resources
Visit the following websites for more information on the importance of breastfeeding and why family and friends should support the breastfeeding mothers in their lives.
The following handouts are from the International Lactation Consultant Association:
Handout for Breastfeeding Mothers – Especially for Mothers
Handout for Friends and Family of Breastfeeding Mothers – Especially for Friends and Family